Welcome to The Tweed & Area Historical Society
Welcome to the Tweed and Area Historical Society website. We wish to share the rich and colourful heritage of our community. We are currently developing a new plan to achieve just that.
We are fortunate to have Houston House, known as the Tweed and Area Heritage Centre and it's newer addition to house our enviable archives, impressive museum and eclectic art gallery.
Our hope is to build on the extensive infrastructure, resources and expertise of the Tweed and Area Historical Society. We aim to provide programs designed to capture the interest of younger generations and show the relevance of local history to our community. As well we hope to implement improvements to ensure our sustainability. Watch for presentations and high profile projects in the coming months.
Check often for updates to our calendar.
As the elected President of the Tweed & Area Historical Society for 2013, I would like to bid everyone "Welcome". You will notice that I have a favourite expression..."if it isn't fun, why do it?" I try to apply this to things I (we) do in everyday life, but alas, the world is just not built this way.
We shall have to persevere. This year, we look forward to great stuff. Some of the stuffing will involve raising money to upkeep the building; others will be for guest speakers and interesting exhibits. This is also a research facility; many come here to fact find on a wide variety of subjects.
I have been President in past years and have realized that we have on our Board of Directors (and in our volunteers) a number of people loaded with talent and knowledge.
We have been lucky, here at the Heritage Centre and at the Historical Society, to be able to draw from these people whatever is needed to keep this greatly under-rated Tweed institution going. My wife Sylvia and I came to the Tweed area after we retired. When we finally got to meet Evan Morton and see what was involved here, we were amazed. We discovered, as many others have, what a jewel Tweed has. At this point, may I invite you to visit our village and see the Heritage Centre.
Take the tour!
Great Events for 2014
- Guest Speakers
- Cemetery Tours
2014 Exhibits and Art Shows
- March/April - Tweed schools
- Lottery tickets are on sale now
- May - School Arts
- May 17 - Garden Art Sale
- May 22-24 - 1st. yard sale
- May 26 - First lottery draw
- June 18 - Guest Speaker on Wed., June 18 will be Aladdin Lamp Authority: Tom Logan. The presentation will be at the Heritage Centre at 7:00 p.m. Tickets are available in advance for $5.00 at the Tweed News and the Heritage Centre, or at the door for $7.00.
- June 27, 28, 30 - 2nd. yard sale
- July - Local artists
- Aug. 20 - Plowing match, Elvis festival, Village events
- September - Linda Brindle display
- Dale Tucker - Studio Tour September 27/28
- Sept. - Nature heritage
- Art Show- October 1-11
- Military display- October 15-November 15
- Oct.14 - 2nd. lottery draw
- Terry Sprague- October 15-7:30 p.m.
- Oct/Nov. - Military tribute
- Nov/Dec. - Christmas craft sale
Winners of the recent 25th Gala Anniversary poster contest pose with Historical Society members George Logan, Roseann Trudeau and Maril Swan